Monday, August 31, 2009

Return to Rock

Yeah! finally got back on rock after a week layoff due to a tendon injury. To ease myself back in I opted for some cuddly offwidths - something that shouldn't strain the fingers. Initially we went for an explore along Rivelin Quarry which I'd not visited before. As far as Peak esoterica goes it looks pretty good with plenty of overgrown green rock but also some superb strong lines. The offwidth Rhododendron Crack looked the pick for me considering I don't climb hard enough to try That's my lot a striking completely smooth E8 arete. We didn't try it today as the rock was wet which could have been a blessing as the first 25ft looked unprotectable.

After a brutal bramble thrash we found drier rock on the main edge. The wide cracks of Presidents Crack and Kremlin Krack provided fine entertainment, the latter being superb. We finished off the day with Groove Route which was supposed to be hard for HVS and 5b but proved to be neither with well protected technical mincing. All in all it was fantastic to be grabbing rock again, here's hoping I can stave off anymore growing pains and keep the body intact.
Jon's ankles after some "wide work"

No comments: